A group of vehicle-dwellers who are building a community, deriving our name from the Greek meaning for “Wheel-City”
A group of vehicle-dwellers who are building a community, under the greater auspices of Mars College ‘23. Deriving our name from the Greek meaning for “Wheel-City,” Rotapolians live in various types of nomadic shelter - RVs, box trucks, skoolies, vans, cars, boats on trailers, teepees, etc are all welcome as we experiment together.
- Bring your own living space, we organize around a central pallet rack structure that provides a more minimal set of resources
- We collectively create some communal assets in the structure
- We are a cooperative doacracy - minimized hierarchies, maximized potential
The limited set of baseline goals we collectively are committing to up front:
Structure: building a two story pallet rack structure
- kitchen (level of fancy TBD)
- lounge / community space / classroom / art gallery type thing
- place to put yer trash
- a garden hose of drinkable water
- place to charge your cell phones/laptops
Some things that we could chose to build as a community:
- fancier kitchen
- ability to give power to individual vehicles?
- party spaces
– community bathroom
– ability to create shaded parking spaces for individual vehicles
– housing the library in our structure?
- insulating (and maybe heated/cooled?) lounge area
- many other possibilities…
Our victory conditions include but are not limited to:
- A community that builds many connections that outlast our dusty home
- Art that lights up peoples faces (esp. at the Biennale but also generally)
Our alignment and goals
- Positive intentions, assume the best of others, we are impeccable with our word, and do our best (4 agreements)
- Respecting consent boundaries of others and willingness to participate in conversations to help mediate conflict is part of our DNA
- Desire to help the collective achieve the above goals, and supporting each other to grow when there are the inevitable mishaps along the way (we are all human (for now) )
How this works:
- You hear about us from Mars College alums or in the discord or some other synchronicity
- You read this page, think it sounds like you, and fill out our intake google form
- We schedule a 15 minute video call to chat and see how we fit together
- We have our Town Hall Camp Calls on November 1 and Dec 1
- We arrive on Mars in early January (No later than January 20th)
- We create magic the specific likes of which this earth has never seen ✨
Still reading? Great! This year will be a great launching off point for the multi camp experience on Mars, and it’s up to us to build these new social structures that thrive in the duty desert around the Salton Sea.
If you’re interested in joining Rotapolis, sign up here.
If this in any way appeals to you, or you have questions, do reach out! I’m Atin#3458 on the Discord (and Mars College of course has a great discord community), or firstname.lastname@example.org. All one,